Saturday, October 11, 2008

Introduction




During the last nine months I have re-discovered photography after having spent the previous 14 years on the sidelines raising a family and spending an inordinate amount of time with a telephone stuck out of my ear or on a plane bound for somewhere other than home.

Becoming re-acquainted with composition, perspective and contrast and letting myself see (as opposed to looking at) the light and shadows has been a sort of re-discovery of the joy that photography has brought to my life. Becoming acquainted with a couple of new cameras (Pentax K10d & Fujifilm F31fd) as well as exposing some film in my trusty Canon A-1 has also been a wonderful experience although I have not exposed (or actuated) many images as I have always believed that there is much more to photography than pressing the shutter. In fact, exposing film (or creating a digital file) is not the goal; for me, seeing the world more clearly, being fully aware, learning about light and shadows and how to use the tools that I possess...this is what photography means to me as the images that I expose are some of the breadcrumbs that I leave behind on my life's path.

If my images also move and please other people than I will be (most) fortunate that they cared to look and attempt to see what I felt while composing the image and pressing the shutter. More importantly, I hope that viewers discover their own perspective and the see the unintended.

For now, I will share a photo (top, Fujifilm F31fd) that a very special person took of me while we were blessed with a Dillon Beach sunset that refused to end...and one (below) that came out of the Pentax K10d with kit lens (SMC Pentax-DA 18-55 F3.5-5.6 AL).



1 comment:

Roger said...

David,

First of all, I like your web-site. It's very nice.

When I read your introduction I felt as you were talking about me, since I experienced the same developement by using film based cameras, then a long break, for yet again to pick up on this great hobby.

As you said it is very rewarding when you realize people noticing the very same things that made you make the picture. Not always so obvious what catch the attention, but they still notice it.

I always try to make the picture show what I feel. Sometimes it's hard to define what trigger that feeling, but that's the challenge and therefor what makes it so fun. I often find it difficult to identify what is so great about a landscape or a limited spot in the landscape making up a scene that is appealing. I often find that it is the 3-D view that is great when I move, but almost lose its charm when I stop. The challenge then is to chose the right cropping, angle or light to help you define what you feel.

Photography is very rewarding and may give great pleasure to others as well, like your picture on your front page. Great picture :)

Keep up the good work, and let us see more in the future.

Roger